Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Shoved Out of the Nest and Trying to Fly

The class finally had their first independent project and it was definetely a big step for me artistically.  Not having to meet any specific criteria and not having as much guidance to go by really forced me to use my own creativity and research, and I think for it being the first independent project I rose to the occasion fairly well.  This piece is 12"x18" and is painted on bristol board.  I used black and blue acrylic paint and white gesso to replace white acrylic.  I started out by outlining the person in pencil and then painting it completely in black, white, and all the shades in between.  To add some color I watered down the blue acrylic and let the blue wash drip down the paper and then added more highlights.  I felt like I did a good job on the eyes and using a lot of shades and tints.  I experimented with drawing a long neck to add emotion.  Also, I'm glad I learned how to use a wash to add color.  The wash could have been done a little bit better and the hair was a great challenge for me because I wanted to make it look too perfect.  Overall I feel like this was a good project for the first independent piece!

3 comments:

  1. i really love this piece! i think adding the blue wash over the top of it really helped to finish it. and i can really tell that depression is the emotion you expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite piece of yours so far Caroline! The shades and the face look really good! The colors match this piece perfectly, goodjob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice reflection. I applaud the fact that you knowingly took risk with what was already good.

    ReplyDelete