Tuesday, November 13, 2012
The class finally had their first independent project and it was definetely a big step for me artistically. Not having to meet any specific criteria and not having as much guidance to go by really forced me to use my own creativity and research, and I think for it being the first independent project I rose to the occasion fairly well. This piece is 12"x18" and is painted on bristol board. I used black and blue acrylic paint and white gesso to replace white acrylic. I started out by outlining the person in pencil and then painting it completely in black, white, and all the shades in between. To add some color I watered down the blue acrylic and let the blue wash drip down the paper and then added more highlights. I felt like I did a good job on the eyes and using a lot of shades and tints. I experimented with drawing a long neck to add emotion. Also, I'm glad I learned how to use a wash to add color. The wash could have been done a little bit better and the hair was a great challenge for me because I wanted to make it look too perfect. Overall I feel like this was a good project for the first independent piece!
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012
Thursday, September 27, 2012
For this project I melted a bunch of green, yellow, purple, blue, and white oil pastels and used gloss to paint on a piece of bristol board with. The dimensions are 9"x12". One thing I did successfully was find a good color scheme, which for this project was accented analogous. My biggest problem while creating this piece was the dried pastel cracking on the paper, and because of this I had to keep reheating what was already on the paper to make sure it didn't come completely off. First I created the back ground by taking a small iron and melting oil pastels directly onto the paper and swirling the greens and yellows together. Then I traced the outline of the woman in pencil and melted the purple, white, and blue pastels on a hot plate. I used a small brush to paint in the outlines of the woman, put a coat of gloss on top, then voilà!
Thursday, September 20, 2012
So Encaustic Collage Wasn't as Bad as I Thought!
Starting out I did not think I would like encaustic or collage, but in the end I had fun with this project. I think that the rose creates a nice focal point and the red splashes and free-handed ink rose make a nice bridge from the background to the rose. For this project I coated the board with gesso and made my first layer newspaper. Then I covered it in clear encaustic wax and placed burnt clothes in various places and covered it in more clear wax. I then sprayed it with matte fixative so I could add another layer of gesso and a layer of brown shoe polish. Then I used red wax to add color and cream wax to create a box and ink to draw a rose and define the sections of the piece. A fabric rose covered in gloss went on top. The dimensions are 9"x12". One thing I did successfully was creating a good composition by having a shaded layer on the bottom, a medium layer in the middle, and a tinted layer at the top of the piece. A problem I encountered was putting the layer of gesso over the wax on the top, which took several coatings of fixative, and making sure the rose didn't get bumped off, which took several layers of wax.